Five people were injured in a shooting at a Los Angeles beach, just a few miles from where city officials had hosted a gun buyback event earlier in the day.
According to the Los Angeles Police Department and City Councilmember Tim McOsker, the LAPD’s Harbor Division responded to a radio call of a shooting at Royal Palms Beach around 5:45 p.m. Saturday. The LAPD said in a statement on Sunday that ‘five male Hispanic victims were at a barbeque, at the beach, with a group of approximately 10-20 people.’ Two suspect approached the group and got into a physical altercation, and ‘the suspects then produced a handgun and fired multiple rounds, striking the victims. The suspects then fled the location in a vehicle.’ Five victims were struck by gunfire, and the police said that the “last information we received was two victims are in critical condition, two victims are in serious condition and one victim is in stable condition.”
A joint statement by McOsker and Janice Hahn, chair of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, read: “We’re outraged and saddened by the shooting at Royal Palms Beach in San Pedro that has left 5 people injured. It’s tragically ironic that today we hosted a gun buy-back event just a few miles away from this location. Gun violence is wreaking havoc on our community … Royal Palms Beach will be closed Sunday and will close earlier on weekends as city officials work on plans to ensure safety and peaceful community use.”
Editorial credit: David A Litman / Shutterstock.com